Credit for recognised learning (Advanced standing)
Did you know you can receive credit for prior learning or work experience? Find out how much credit you could receive.
Advanced standing is also known as recognition of prior learning, credit for recognised learning and credit transfer.
You could receive credit if you have:
- already studied units (subjects) listed in your desired course
- work experience that matches the degree requirements.
If this applies to you, your previous learning may be recognised and matched against a similar unit in your intended course. This means you may be exempt from doing part of the course and you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
How to apply
You will need to apply for your desired course prior to applying for advanced standing. Your CRL application is assessed with your course application and is noted in your letter of offer. You can apply for credit for specific units within your course, or elective units if the course structure permits.
Your application must be submitted by the Friday of the first week of the semester or study period.
Unit transfers between Curtin courses
If you transfer from one Curtin course to another Curtin course, any units you have already completed will be recorded on your study plan. You do not need to include these in your advanced standing application. If unit transfers do not appear on your study plan after you are notified of the advanced standing outcome, please submit an enquiry.
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What scholarships are available?
- How is studying online different from studying on campus?
- What are my study mode options?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.