How to apply
To apply for a higher degree by research at Curtin, complete the following steps:
1. Review our areas of research
Check your research interests align with Curtin’s current areas of research.
2. Choose a research degree
Curtin offers the following postgraduate research degrees:
3. Find a research supervisor
4. Write a research proposal
The merit of your postgraduate research will be judged on your proposal.
- state your research topic
- outline your research plan and objectives
- show you have sufficient experience and knowledge in the area
- demonstrate your research is significant and ethical
- be accompanied by any cited references.
Your proposal should be two pages long, with your references listed on an additional page. We recommend you include the following sections:
Provide a brief overview of your proposal describing the research topic in general.
Background and literature review
Show the theoretical basis of your proposed research, describing what has already been written about this topic, why the topic is important and why it is worth researching.
Aims and objectives
Describe what you intend to accomplish and which questions your research will address.
Refer to an accepted research method, and explain how you will conduct your research and address your objectives. Include details on how the information will be gathered, analysed and reported, and specify any special equipment, software, data or other resources required.
Indicate a realistic deadline for each phase of your research.
Include any references related to your proposal using a recognised and appropriate international standard of referencing.
Choose your course. Select “apply now” and follow the prompts.
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?
- Why choose Curtin?
- What Scholarships are available for future international students?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri: 8:00am–5:00pm (UTC+8) excl. public holidays.