Health insurance for international students
OSHC is a specific type of health insurance that international students must have before arriving in Australia. It includes insurance cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines).
Who needs OSHC?
All international students must obtain OSHC that covers themselves and their accompanying dependants before arriving in Australia.
Services covered by OSHC
OSHC providers allow you to claim 100 per cent of the government set fee for a standard medical consultation.
- visits to the doctor
- public hospital stay
- ambulance services (when hospital admission is necessary)
- some prescription medicines.
OSHC does not cover:
- dental treatment
- optical treatment
We strongly recommend you take out additional private health cover to cover these additional services.
Most standard OSHC premiums do not cover treatment for pre-existing disability or medical conditions during the first 18 months of membership. If you have disabilities or medical conditions you may have to obtain additional health insurance or have extra funds available to cover your medical expenses.
FAQ’s for OSHC cover
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What scholarships are available?
- How is studying online different from studying on campus?
- What are my study mode options?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.