The Gateway course develops confidence in using English when living, studying or working in an English-speaking environment. This course is designed to develop English Language Proficiency in reading and writing and listening and speaking.
The course includes English Language development, elective classes and study management skills to help you manage your assessments, timetable and general studies. The elective classes available to you include Curtin Life, Improving Interactions, Academic Skills and Contemporary Issues. You can choose the elective class that best suits your needs. You can find a description of these below.
Gateway Elective Classes
Curtin Life focuses on student welfare, your physical and mental health as well as preparing you for campus life and becoming more familiar with the facilities on campus.
Improving interactions has a focus on listening and speaking in everyday, Australian contexts such as making plans with friends and talking to people at social events.
The Academic skills elective helps develop basic academic literacy and skills such as note-taking, summarizing, referencing and giving presentations.
Contemporary issues has a focus on real-world topics to generate ideas when writing and speaking.
The duration of your English course would depend on your entry level and the English language requirement for your mainstream program at Curtin University.
- Gateway English 1 6 weeks
- Gateway English 2 12 weeks
- Gateway English 3 18 weeks
- Gateway English 4 24 weeks
Why study Gateway English
- You will develop English Language skills in reading, writing, listening and speaking at the required level for your next course.
- The Gateway course prepares students for direct entry to some of the Curtin University courses available.
- You can earn extra points by joining our ‘Connecting U’ program and developing your English and academic skills outside the classroom.
- We offer a social program to compliment your studies so you can use your English outside the classroom.
- You will study English Language Proficiency and you can choose a specialist class to develop the skills you need.
- Curtin English is on the Curtin University campus which you get to experience.
- You will be prepared for work, life and study on completion of Gateway.
- Our teaching staff are experienced and qualified and want you to succeed.
What you'll learn
- Develop English language and English language writing skills appropriate for producing texts at the required level of proficiency.
- Manipulate grammatical structures to communicate effectively at the required level of proficiency.
- Demonstrate independent learning through reflection and active learning techniques.
- Distinguish between main and supporting ideas in a spoken or written text at the required level of proficiency.
- Produce spoken utterances and interactions at the required level of proficiency.
- Negotiate meaning with other users of English at the required level of proficiency.
Fees and charges
Australia / New Zealand students
Fee information is not available for this course at this time. Please check out our Fee Calculator for an estimation of course fees.
If you are successful in your application to study at Curtin, you will receive a letter of offer via email. You can either accept or defer your offer. To find out more about this process, view our enrolment web page.
You may also like to find out how you can obtain financial assistance or apply for a scholarship and prepare for Orientation Week (O-Week).
Where to get further information
- More about studying at Curtin
- Visit the WA Tertiary Institutions Service Centre (TISC) website
- Visit the Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) website
- Visit the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) website
- Our admission appeals and grievance process
Applicants applying for an undergraduate degree with an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
Find information on how you can apply to study at Curtin with an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma if you are applying for an undergraduate degree.
Applicants with other international qualifications
Find information on what qualifications you can use to apply for a Curtin course.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: NA-ENGGT3
- CRICOS code: 096503E
- This offering was last updated on: 07/02/2019