Units in first semester 2021 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
Higher Education Innovative Learning and Teaching
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Innovative Learning and Teaching
Duration of the course with a full-time study load. Studying part-time will extend the duration of your course.
- 1 year full-time
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
- Curtin Perth
Improve your ability to teach in a tertiary learning environment, studying new approaches to pedagogy and learner engagement.
Highly ranked course
Curtin is ranked in the top 100 in the world for education.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
This new course covers a range of contemporary teaching practices. It is designed to suit those already working in internal and online learning environments in university and other tertiary contexts, across all teaching disciplines.
Through the integration of new and innovative design, curriculum development and delivery, and critical evaluation of your teaching practices, you will learn how to transform higher education teaching practices.
You'll be introduced to new approaches to pedagogy, learner engagement, the learning cycle, technology rich learning environments, reflective practice and evaluation, as well as evidence-based and scholarly approaches to learning and teaching.
The development of a teaching portfolio will evidence your critical, reflective and developmental teaching practices.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
This course is considered an advanced preparation for teaching in a tertiary setting and, as such, is seen as advantageous by university employers. Articulation with other award programs is decided on a case-by-case basis.
What you'll learn
- employ new pedagogies, learning spaces and modalities in innovative ways for learning and teaching.
- apply knowledge of contemporary educational curriculum, learning, assessment and evaluation design theory and practices in course, unit and task design.
- demonstrate creative approaches to teaching and learning that engage a diverse range of students in active learning, utilising a technology rich environment.
- create and maintain inclusive, positive learning environments and experiences that engage learners in their learning.
- demonstrate critical reflective practice and contributions to the scholarship of learning and teaching.
- identify, collect, examine, and interpret a range of sources of evidence in the design and evaluation of educational practice.
- apply knowledge of indigenous perspectives, knowledges and cultural capabilities in critical reflection of teaching and learning and course, unit and task design.
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Fees & charges
Fee information is not available for this course at this time. Find estimated course fees.
For start dates, please view the academic calendar.
Curtin Online 1
Curtin Online 3
All endeavours are made to ensure location information for courses is up to date but please note they are subject to change.
The University reserves the right to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/or to vary arrangements for any program.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choice
Please note that each campus has different application deadlines. Please view our application deadlines page for further information.Apply now
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?
- Why choose Curtin?
- What Scholarships are available for future international students?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri: 8:00am–5:00pm (UTC+8) excl. public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: GC-EDHE
- Last updated on: January 19, 2021