Units in first semester 2021 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
OUA Graduate Certificate
- Graduate Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (OpenUnis)
Duration of the course with a full-time study load. Studying part-time will extend the duration of your course.
- 1 year full-time
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
- Open Universities Australia
Focus on the theoretical underpinnings of language acquisition and components of language.
Highly ranked course
Curtin is ranked in the top 100 in the world for education.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
To check you meet the course entry requirement, visit Open Universities Australia.
What you'll learn
- an ability to apply the theoretical principles and concepts which underpin contemporary TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) specific practices;
- an understanding of the diverse needs of students and an ability to frame creative solutions to problems of pedagogy;
- an ability to access key texts in the field, and to analyse critically key concepts in the field and an ability to synthesise information from a variety of theoretical and practical perspectives;
- an ability to communicate effectively, including the ability to communicate key concepts relevant to TESOL;
- an awareness of available technologies and an insight into how they can be used creatively to a specific advantage in TESOL;
- an awareness of the importance of self-directed learning for professional growth and a demonstrated ability to take responsibility for individual intellectual development;
- an awareness of the theoretical and practical implications for TESOL in a global context;
- an appreciation of the value of cultural and linguistic diversity and its place in TESOL;
- a demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team; plan a challenging and supportive learning environment.
Everyone’s study journey is different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
If this applies to you, you can apply for credit for recognised learning (CRL), which means your previous study is recognised and matched against a similar unit in your intended Curtin course.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact Curtin OUA at:
This offering is only available online. Please visit the Open Universities Australia website for more information.
OpenUnis SP 1
OpenUnis SP 3
All endeavours are made to ensure location information for courses is up to date but please note they are subject to change.
The University reserves the right to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/or to vary arrangements for any program.
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What scholarships are available?
- How is studying online different from studying on campus?
- What are my study mode options?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: OC-TESOL
- Last updated on: February 12, 2021