Masters by Coursework
- Master of Accounting
Duration of the course with a full-time study load. Studying part-time will extend the duration of your course.
- 1 year, 6 months full-time
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
- Curtin Perth
Advance your knowledge of auditing, taxation and managerial accounting.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019).
You’ll have access to a range of international study opportunities.
This postgraduate accounting course is suitable if you have previously completed an accounting degree recognised by CPA Australia. The program enables you to build the advanced skills and knowledge to provide high-level advice to management and governing bodies, and to undertake leadership positions within the workplace.
In this course you will specialise in one of the following majors:
You will also study foundation units that will give you an advanced level of knowledge in core accounting areas including auditing, applied corporate governance, data analysis and visualisation.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
- Upgrade your accounting skills and knowledge to enhance your career prospects.
How this course will make you industry ready
We are the only Western Australian university that offers students the opportunity to obtain a postgraduate qualification and tuition for the CPA Program.
Similar courses are offered by universities in the Eastern states. The minimum duration of their courses is 2.5 years. Our course is only 1.5 years.
Note: If you wish to do the CPA Program, you must be enrolled in the CPA Program administered by CPA Australia. You must also register for and sit the CPA Australia exams. You are responsible for all CPA Program fees including CPA Program segment exam fees.
In order to enrol in the CPA Program, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are qualified and able to meet the requirements for associate membership for CPA Australia.
Our Master of Accounting (CPA Australia Extension Studies) was ranked the 5th best accounting master degree in Oceania in the prestigious Eduniversal Best Masters Ranking in Accounting and Auditing 2016.
Graduates may find employment with organisations in both the private and public sectors and with accounting firms.
What you'll learn
- apply principles of financial accounting, managerial accounting, governance and auditing to grasp theoretical underpinnings of the discipline. Extend knowledge base with research and application of business research methods.
- apply critical and analytical thinking to develop innovative solutions to complex problems in relevant business fields.
- locate, extract and critically appraise information from a range of sources and effectively communicate it using structured financial or other appropriate language to a professional audience for a range of purposes.
- develop ongoing professional, self-directed and reflective education relating to developments and changes in the information requirements of a global financial system that is multi-perspective in nature, and apply international financial reporting standards.
- recognise that cultural practices and differences impact upon commercial endeavours and interpersonal relations. Work effectively in multicultural team environments.
- exhibit professional and ethical approach to analysing and reporting commercial activities demonstrating leadership, collaborative and independent qualities when required, in compliance with appropriate legislation and protocols.
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.5|
Essential course prerequisites
A bachelor degree in business majoring in accounting.
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Tel: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
International student indicative fees for 2020
Fee year: 2020
|International onshore – fee paying||Cost|
|Offer letter (100 credit) published fee||$16,000*|
|Total indicative course fee||$46,300*|
|Indicative year 1 fee||$31,000*|
Fees are indicative only.
*Based on a first-year full-time study load of credits. The total cost will depend on your course options (i.e. units selected and time taken to complete).
It may vary depending on the units you choose and does not include incidental fees (such as lab coats or art supplies) or the cost of your textbooks. For information about fees at other locations please contact the relevant campus or partner institution by visiting Curtin International’s offshore site.
For start dates, please view the academic calendar.
Semester 1 and Semester 2
All endeavours are made to ensure location information for courses is up to date but please note they are subject to change.
The University reserves the right to withdraw any unit of study or program which it offers, to impose limitations on enrolment in any unit or program, and/or to vary arrangements for any program.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choice
Please note that each campus has different application deadlines. Please view our application deadlines page for further information.Apply now
Help is at hand
- Can I apply for special consideration?
- Can I remain in Australia until my student visa expires if I have completed my course?
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What are my study mode options?
- What are my postgraduate study options?
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MC-ADVACC
- CRICOS code: 0101368
- Last updated on: February 16, 2020