If COVID-19 restrictions apply, we may need to make changes to units and/or delivery modes.
Masters by Coursework (Graduate Entry)
- Master of Professional Engineering
This course is two years' full-time or equivalent part-time study. All majors in this course are available to international students studying in Australia on a study visa. There are two intakes offered each year, in February and July.
- 2 years full-time
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
Advance your technical knowledge, skills and professional competencies in an area of engineering.
Learn to apply your studies to real industry challenges and situations.
Accreditation of this course is being sought from Engineers Australia (EA). Graduates will meet the Stage 1 competencies for professional engineer status, subject to EA accreditation.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
The course is not suitable for graduates of a four-year undergraduate degree, with Engineers Australia accreditation in the same discipline. Those holding an EA accredited qualification and seeking a masters level qualification in the same discipline are encouraged to consider applying for entry to the Master of Philosophy.
Applicants seeking entry who do not hold such a qualification are required to first complete the one-year Graduate Diploma in Professional Engineering.
Professional engineers apply their knowledge and skills to design innovative solutions to engineering problems, often using technology.
The Master of Professional Engineering equips you with the technical knowledge, skills and professional competencies that allow you to work as a professional engineer upon graduation.
Completion of this course demonstrates attainment of the Stage 1 competency standards for Professional Engineers required by Engineers Australia (EA), subject to EA accreditation. Direct entry to this course is available if you have a four-year engineering qualification in a discipline related to your intended major. Otherwise, you may need to complete the Graduate Diploma in Professional Engineering prior to enrolling in this course.
During this course, you must gain at least 12 weeks of exposure to engineering professional practice and keep a formal log book to record your experience. In your final year, you will complete a major research or design project that will draw upon and integrate knowledge and skills attained through the course.
You can choose one of the following majors:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Embedded Systems Engineering
- Emerging Power Systems Engineering
- Telecommunications and Networking Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Subsea Engineering
The course is being submitted for accreditation. Graduates will meet the Stage 1 competencies for professional engineer status, subject to Engineers Australia accreditation.
What you'll learn
- apply advanced and integrated knowledge and skills to design and lead the implementation of innovative solutions to complex engineering problems
- incorporate cultural sensitivity and understanding, including that of local First Peoples, in decisions related to the design and implementation of solutions to engineering problems
- recognise opportunities to lead the development and implementation of innovative engineering solutions to industry problems
- apply advanced engineering skills and knowledge, sustainability frameworks, and ethical approaches to address issues of international relevance
- develop and communicate effective and innovative engineering solutions to complex problems using an adaptive approach to technologies
- develop and maintain professional networks and work ethically and responsibly to progress their career as a professional engineer
Applicants require a 4-year Engineering degree from a recognised institution in the same discipline of study. Students who have completed the Graduate Diploma of Professional Engineering degree at Curtin will be considered to have met the above course requirement.
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.0|
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
If this applies to you, you can apply for credit for recognised learning (CRL), which means your previous study is recognised and matched against a similar unit in your intended Curtin course.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Webform: Submit here
Curtin Connect: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
Fee information is not available for this course at this time. Find estimated course fees.
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- Deferring TISC Offer
- Can TISC applicants change their course preferences?
- Applying for the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test)?
- Receiving your TISC offer when you are away
- Receiving WACE results
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MC-PROENG
- CRICOS code: 0100657
- Last updated on: January 20, 2022