Units in first semester 2021 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
Accounting and Business Information Systems
- Accounting and Business Information Systems Double Major (BCom)
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
Specialise in the development and use of computers and information systems for accounting purposes.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
You’ll have access to a range of international study opportunities.
Specialise in the development and use of computers and information systems for accounting purposes. You’ll be introduced to a wide range of accounting principles, and learn how to manage, plan, analyse and design the information technologies used in organisations.
In the Accounting major you will have a sound foundation in accounting, auditing, taxation and relevant areas of business law and financial management, and be able to apply to knowledge across a range of accounting contexts. You’ll learn how to develop and communicate information relating to the financial performance of organisations, and use your accounting knowledge to support business decision-making. In the Business Information Systems major you’ll learn how business information systems are selected, managed and applied to business problems. You’ll also learn how to analyse systems and manage projects.
This double major sits within the Bachelor of Commerce degree. To apply for this major, you will apply for the Bachelor of Commerce.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
- Attend employer presentations. In the past, organisations have included Google, Coca-Cola Amatil, EY and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.
- You’ll have the opportunity to attend several CPA events, including professional connection mentoring days, employability boot camps and career information sessions.
- You can get involved in the Information Systems Professional Practice program, supported by the Australian Computer Society Foundation, and The Fresh Connection student competition.
- You can undertake industry project work, network with professionals and receive practical, industry learning experience.
The Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia has partnered with Curtin to offer internships to students who have completed 200 credits or more of their commerce degree. These internships will give you credit towards your degree, increase your industry experience and put you in direct contact with leading professionals.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
This course is accredited by:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- CPA Australia
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Institute of Public Accountants
IMA endorses the Management Accounting curriculum of the course
- Business analyst
- IT auditor
- IT manager
- Project manager
- Systems analyst
- Tax agent
- Tax consultant
- Business and management
- Finance and investment
- Resources and renewables
What you'll learn
- apply the principles of audit to enable the student to manage a system and accurately report activities; perform assessment skills of accounting principles in relation to organisations in the current workplace
- apply logical and rational processes to analyse and recommend best accounting and business information systems principles
- develop interpretation of data and analyse statistics for innovative solutions
- familiarise students with software, including Microsoft Access that is relevant to relational databases, and the manipulation and presentation of data for management reporting purposes
- be able to construct and effectively respond to clients with a variety of solutions using professional proposals and other documents; prioritise tasks within activities and promote best practice management and good project management skills
- able to apply international and domestic standards within the accounting professional discipline
- create and enhance best work practices amongst individual and team techniques/skills
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Fees & charges
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?
- Why choose Curtin?
- What Scholarships are available for future international students?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri: 8:00am–5:00pm (UTC+8) excl. public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJDU-ACCIS
- Last updated on: September 18, 2020