Units in second semester 2020 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
- Graphic Design Major
- Admission criteria
- Guaranteed ATAR 70
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
Learn to communicate ideas visually across a range of media to persuade, inform and educate.
I have really enjoyed the high-quality curriculum, practical aspects, and feedback from the lecturers and tutors, which has helped to shape my design thinking and technical abilities. Once you master the design process, you’ll be able to repeatedly create and re-produce high-quality, stunning designs.
Highly ranked course
Curtin is the highest ranked University in WA in the field of Art and Design and is in the top 200 in the world.
(QS World Rankings 2018)
Curtin is ranked in the top 20 young universities globally
(2019 QS top 50 under 50)
Gain professional membership to AGDA; D&AD, International Society of Typographic Designers, and Perth Advertising and Design club.
Graphic designers visually communicate across a range of media to persuade, inform and educate audiences online, in print and within a wider environment.
In this major you’ll develop a deeper understanding of graphic design and its distinct specialist applications, including user experience design, design thinking, branding, data visualisation, editorial, information design, interaction design, way-finding, packaging design, service and experiential design.
You’ll learn how to solve complex communication problems through the exploration and application of design theory and practice, whilst developing skills across a range of industry applications.
The Graphic Design major responds to rapid changes in the design and commercial industries, as well as cultural and sociotechnical shifts in retail and media consumption behaviours.
Graphic Design is offered as part of the Bachelor of Design. You will be able to enhance your degree by selecting to study either two additional minors or one minor and four elective units to support your career goals.
High achieving students may complete an additional honours year enabling them to undertake their own significant research project.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
How to apply
This major sits within the Bachelor of Design degree. To apply for this major, you will apply for the Bachelor of Design. In step 3 of the application process, you will be asked to confirm the major you wish to study.
Applying as an undergraduate student is easy. For information tailored to your situation, visit our easy to follow instructions to get your application started.
Ready to apply?
- Curtin is the highest ranked University in WA in the field of Art and Design and is in the top 200 in the world.*
- Innovation: There is a strong focus on contemporary design practices and principles.
- Strong practical focus: Our facilities provide students with the necessary resources to produce finished design executions across a range of media.
*QS World Rankings 2018
How this course will make you industry ready
This course offers a distinctive student experience that focuses on leadership, industry linkages and global citizenship. You will be taught by industry practitioners who are focused on employability, design entrepreneurship and design leadership.
Our attention to social innovation and the role of design in society provides opportunities for study abroad and work-integrated learning.
Our focus on design action (sustainability, community, human-centred) and design ethics ensures our graduates are industry-ready with global perspectives.
Throughout the three-year program, you’ll learn through project-based activities, and be given the opportunity to work together with students from other disciplines, mirroring a real industry environment.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
Professional memberships available:
- Australian Graphic Design Association
- Design Institute of Australia
- International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD)
- Perth Advertising and Design Club
- Art director
- Graphic designer
- Advertising executive
- Creative director
- Creative consultant
- Production manager
- Media and communications
What you'll learn
- apply discipline knowledge to critically review, analyse, consolidate and contribute to evidence-based practice in graphic design
- demonstrate cognitive and technical skills in both a broad understanding and depth in graphic design
- use and discern between a range of graphic design technologies and media platforms in the production of graphic design-based solutions
- demonstrate effective visual, spoken, written and technical communication appropriate to the graphic design discipline and apply effective self-directed learning skills
- demonstrate personal awareness of a graphic design specific practice and sustain an engagement with contemporary practices, technologies and the creative industries
- develop a predictive overview of future trends that will influence graphic design and graphic design practices
- recognise the importance of social, ethical and cultural diversity and consider local and international perspectives in graphic design activities, studio practice and production
- demonstrate how intercultural awareness and understanding impacts on personal and professional skills and on the ability to lead
- work independently and collaboratively on graphic design projects and respond to project demands
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.5|
Other requirements and notes for this course
For additional queries and information, please email email@example.com
In addition to the course-specific admission criteria listed above, please read our general admission criteria. Our general admission criteria apply to all courses at Curtin University.
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Fees & charges
Please view the Bachelor of Design degree for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRU-GRPDS
- Last updated on: September 22, 2020