- Mechatronic Engineering Major (BEng Hons)
- Admission criteria
- Guaranteed ATAR 80
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
You could start working as a professional mechatronic engineering graduate in just four years.
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019)
Start working as a professional engineering graduate in just four years.
Graduates fulfil the stage one competencies required by Engineers Australia for a professional engineer.
Mechatronic engineers work at the interface of mechanical devices and electronic control systems.
With the ever-increasing reach of robotics and autonomous systems, mechatronic engineers are found in diverse industries including aerospace, agriculture, biotechnology mining and energy resources.
As the number of industries that are innovating through digital technologies grows, so do the opportunities for mechatronic engineers. Rapid advances in automation applications – such as self-driving cars and mine-site automation – are driving an increased need for mechatronic engineers with expertise in mechanical, electronic and computer systems engineering.
Numerous industries, including mining, transportation, agriculture and biomedical engineering, also require mechatronic engineers to work towards solutions for some of society’s most pressing problems.
As a mechatronic engineering student, you will develop sound theoretical knowledge in the key disciplines of mechanics, electronics, computer systems and control. You’ll apply this knowledge and develop practical skills through a series of projects on topics including mobile robot communications and automation, pneumatic automation systems and machine control.
In your final year of study, you’ll undertake a major research or design project.
Double degree options
You can study a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechatronic Engineering) with a Bachelor of Science (Computer Science).
See our handbook for more course information.
How this course will make you industry ready
This major will equip you with a range of engineering skills and knowledge, enabling opportunities in mechanical design, instrumentation, automation, robotics and other fields.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
Graduates fulfil the stage one competencies required by Engineers Australia.
- Mechatronic engineer
- Mechanical engineer
- Automation engineer
- Computer systems engineer
- Data scientist
- Autonomous vehicle
- Biosensors and security
- Biotechnology and biomechanics
- Mining and resources
- Oil and gas
- Renewable energy
- Subsea engineering
- Master of Engineering Management
- Master of Professional Engineering
- Master of Science (Corrosion Engineering)
- Master of Science (Industrial Engineering)
- Master of Philosophy
- Doctor of Philosophy
What you'll learn
- apply a sound working knowledge of the principles that underpin mechatronic engineering.
- apply creative and analytical thinking skills when designing mechatronic solutions for engineering problems.
- access, evaluate and synthesise information from multiple sources when designing mechatronic solutions
- communicate effectively with a wide range of both engineering and non-engineering personnel.
- apply knowledge using a realistic and practical approach to problem-solving and designing with mechatronics.
- apply self-discipline and self-management skills, and set goals for themselves.
- work effectively in teams with an international and cross-cultural perspective.
- continuously develop their potential as a professional engineer contributing positively to the community at large.
- be ‘employment-ready’ for the engineering profession, but readily adaptable to other professions/occupations and able to respond to entrepreneurial opportunities.
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.0|
Other requirements and notes for this course
In addition to the course-specific admission criteria listed above, please read our general admission criteria. Our general admission criteria apply to all courses at Curtin University.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) degree. To apply for this major, apply for the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours).
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Tel: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
- Can I apply for special consideration?
- Can I remain in Australia until my student visa expires if I have completed my course?
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What are my study mode options?
- What are my postgraduate study options?
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRH-MXENG
- Last updated on: February 20, 2020