Mine and Engineering Surveying
- Mine and Engineering Surveying Major (BSc Science)
- Admission criteria
- Guaranteed ATAR 70
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
Learn to measure underground and open cut mines and ensure civil engineering works meet building specs.
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019)
Graduate ready to work in environments where research and discovery abound.
Broad career options
Curtin offers the only comprehensive degree in mine and engineering surveying in Western Australia.
Mine and engineering surveying are specialist areas of surveying. Mine surveyors measure underground and open-cut mines in detail, helping mining companies locate new mines safely. Engineering surveyors work on construction and infrastructure projects to ensure challenging building specifications are met.
Curtin offers the only comprehensive degree in mine and engineering surveying in Western Australia. In this course, you will develop skills in marking out, measuring and maintaining direction for all surface and underground workings on a mine site. You’ll also learn how to prepare and update mine surveying plans for open-pit and underground workings. In your engineering surveying units, you’ll learn how to ensure civil engineering works are placed in their correct positions and orientations.
This major prepares you with the appropriate practical experience for operational management at the quarry manager level.
You will study the first two years of your course in Perth and your third year in Kalgoorlie, which will expose you to real-world environments and practices.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Science (Science) degree.
See our handbook for more course information.
- Curtin offers a hands-on, interactive approach to learning.
- You have the option of a range of double degrees with this major.
- We provide modern equipment and laboratories for student learning.
- You'll have the opportunity to study at our Western Australian School of Mines, a leader in mining and geosciences education in Australia.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
Graduates of this course meet the education requirements of the Western Australian Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety for certification as an underground or open-pit mine supervisor or as an open-cut mine manager. You may also meet the educational requirements for a Quarry Manager's Certificate of Competency.
Graduates of this course are eligible for membership of the Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute and of the Western Australian Institute of Surveyors.
- Engineering surveyor
- Mining surveyor
- Mining and resources
- Mine Surveyor
- Engineering Surveyor
What you'll learn
- apply mining and engineering surveying concepts and methods to surveying applications
- think critically and creatively to generate innovative solutions and apply logical and rational processes to analyse mining and engineering surveying problems
- access, evaluate and synthesise contemporary spatial and related information from multiple sources
- communicate knowledge,skills and ideas in ways appropriate to the discipline of mining and engineering surveying
- use appropriate technologies, recognising their advantages and limitations when applying to mining and engineering surveying
- show appropriate independence and responsibility in identifying, and engaging in, opportunities for ongoing professional learning related to mine and engineering surveying
- apply Australian and international best practice standards in mining and engineering surveying data
- recognise the importance of cultural diversity and demonstrate cultural competence within a professional context
- work ethically and professionally, both within a team and independently
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.0|
Please note: The cut-off scores below are for 2018 only.
|GCE/STPM/HKALE (A-levels - best of three)||5|
|Ontario Gr 12 (best of 6)||60|
|ATAR (including WACE/SACE/HCE/VCE)||70|
Please select a country above.
If applying for this major through Curtin, rather than through TISC, you will apply for the Bachelor of Science (Science).
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Tel: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
Please view the Bachelor of Science (Science) degree for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
- Can I apply for special consideration?
- Can I remain in Australia until my student visa expires if I have completed my course?
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What are my study mode options?
- What are my postgraduate study options?
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRU-MESUR
- Last updated on: February 11, 2020