Units in first semester 2021 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
- Mining Major (BSc Science)
- Admission criteria
- Guaranteed ATAR 70
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
Study mining methods, rock mechanics, geology and mine planning.
Start working as a professional engineering graduate in just four years.
Highly ranked course
Curtin is ranked first in Australia and second in the world for mineral and mining engineering education. (QSWUR by Subject 2020)
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
Mining continues to enrich many communities in Australia and around the world. Mining professionals help plan and direct the extraction of minerals, petroleum and natural gas from the Earth.
In this course you will study mining methods, rock mechanics, geology and mine planning. You’ll develop the skills necessary to work with mining engineers in the exploitation of minerals from underground or open-pit mines, safely and economically.
Your first year of study will be at Curtin Perth, your second year will be at Curtin Perth or Curtin Kalgoorlie, and your final year will be at Curtin Kalgoorlie, where you can engage with industry and potential future employers.
You’ll also have the opportunity to undertake field trips to gain real-world experience in mining.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Science (Science) degree.
See our handbook for more course information.
- This course will prepare you for employment with Australian and international mining companies.
- You'll have the opportunity to study at our Western Australian School of Mines, a leader in mining and geosciences education in Australia.
How this course will make you industry ready
Curtin has excellent links with industry and our lecturers have real industry experience. We can also offer vacation work opportunities and graduate employment programs.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
This course meets the education requirements of the Western Australian Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety for certification as an underground or open-pit mine supervisor. You will also meet the educational requirements for the quarry manager’s certificate of competency.
It is also recognised by the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy.
- Engineering consultant
- Mine manager
- Mine ventilation officer
- Mining engineer
- Mining company director
- Mining and resources
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Master of Engineering Science (Mining)
- Master of Philosophy
- Doctor of Philosophy
What you'll learn
- apply scientific, engineering and technological principles to mine development projects
- think critically and creatively to generate innovative solutions and apply logical and rational processes to analyse mine feasibility studies
- access, evaluate and synthesise mine planning and design information from multiple sources
- communicate in ways appropriate to the discipline of mining engineering, using the written word and oral presentations
- apply information technologies and mining software tools to conduct mine feasibility studies
- demonstrate responsibility and self-learning skills by applying critical reflection and being proactive
- describe mining in the global environment and apply best practice standards in mining methods and technologies
- demonstrate respect for cultural diversity in professional life
- work in accordance with professional standards and demonstrate responsibility towards the broader community; work in teams
Curtin requires all applicants to demonstrate proficiency in English. Specific English requirements for this course are outlined in the IELTS table below.
|IELTS Academic (International English Language Testing System)|
|Overall band score||6.0|
Please note: The cut-off scores below are for 2020 only.
|GCE/STPM/HKALE (A-levels - best of three)||5|
|Ontario Gr 12 (best of 6)||60|
|ATAR (including WACE/SACE/HCE/VCE)||70|
Please select a country above.
Other requirements and notes for this course
July intake: Course duration may exceed three years due to unit prerequisites.
In addition to the course-specific admission criteria listed above, please read our general admission criteria. Our general admission criteria apply to all courses at Curtin University.
If applying for this major through Curtin, rather than through TISC, you will apply for the Bachelor of Science (Science).
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Fees & charges
Please view the Bachelor of Science (Science) degree for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- Working in Australia as an International student
- Why choose Curtin?
- Scholarships available for future international students
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri: 8:00am–5:00pm (UTC+8) excl. public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRU-MNGSC
- Last updated on: September 23, 2020