- Petroleum Engineering Major (BEng Hons)
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
You could start working as a professional petroleum engineering graduate in just four years.
Engineering is all about solving problems, and petroleum engineering in particular is an area where projects require innovation. Curtin’s petroleum engineering degree provides lots of practical experiences, covers a wide range of subjects and teaches you to use technology relevant to your field.
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019)
Start working as a professional engineering graduate in just four years.
Graduates fulfil the stage one competencies required by Engineers Australia for a professional engineer.
Petroleum engineers extract oil and gas from deposits below the Earth’s surface. They work closely with other professionals to understand the geological and geophysical characteristics of particular reservoirs, before designing, testing and implementing the most effective and profitable extraction method.
Reservoirs yield a maximum of 30 per cent of their oil, so petroleum engineers are needed to develop methods to increase oil and gas production. These engineers are also needed to help develop offshore gas fields.
Curtin is located in the hub of the oil and gas industry in Australia. We have a strong reputation for excellence, with our researchers and academics collaborating closely with industry to develop solutions that enhance resource performance, technology and environmental management.
In this major you will learn how to evaluate, drill, develop and mine oil and gas reserves. You will learn about chemical engineering, drilling, fluid flow through reservoirs, formation evaluation, geology, hydrocarbon phase behaviour, oil and gas field development, petroleum production technology, thermodynamics and well completions engineering.
You will also develop an understanding of global economic trends and corporate profit margins through the study of economics, risk and project management.
You will undertake practical study in fluid and reservoir rock and drilling laboratories. You will gain industry exposure through field trips to service company offices, government offices, and drilling, exploration and production operation sites.
In your final year, you will undertake a major research project, as well as a field development planning and design project.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) degree. To apply for this major, you will apply for the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours).
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
- Curtin is located in the hub of the oil and gas industry in Australia. We are building a strong reputation for excellence in the sector, with our researchers and academics collaborating closely with industry to develop solutions that enhance resource performance, technology and environmental management.
- Companies such as Chevron, Woodside, Shell, BHP Biliton, BP and numerous others support the petroleum engineering program at Curtin and provide graduates with employment opportunities during and beyond their studies.
- Most teaching staff are professionals from within the industry.
- Student membership to the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) is encouraged and this, in conjunction with the Curtin Chapter of the membership, provides you with valuable networking, learning and career development throughout the degree.
- You will spend a large amount of time applying the course material to real oil and gas field data.
How this course will make you industry ready
Currently, reservoirs yield only about 30 per cent of their oil, so petroleum engineers are needed to develop methods to increase oil and gas production. With the recent high level of success in gas exploration, more petroleum engineers are needed to help develop these newly discovered and future offshore gas fields.
As a qualified petroleum engineer, you can work in a technically challenging career and benefit from being part of a worldwide community of professionals.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
Graduates fulfil the stage one competencies required by Engineers Australia.
- Petroleum engineer
- Drilling engineer
- Field operation engineer
- Production engineer
- Reservoir engineer
- Subsurface engineer
- Well completions engineer
- Environmental management
- Health and safety
- Oil and gas
- Research and development
- Water treatment
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Tel: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
- Can I apply for special consideration?
- Can I remain in Australia until my student visa expires if I have completed my course?
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What are my study mode options?
- What are my postgraduate study options?
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRH-PTENG
- Last updated on: January 15, 2020