Units in first semester 2021 may be delivered online and in alternative formats whilst restrictions in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic are in place.
- Property Major (BCom)
- Please refer to B-COMM
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
An excellent qualification to hold whatever your chosen career path in property.
I studied at Curtin because I had a real passion for property, and Curtin was one of the only universities in Australia that offered a specialised property course. The property industry offers many career paths –to get a taste of analysis, finance, economics, development, valuation, marketing, management and construction put me in good stead to understand the different facets of the industry.
Professionally accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors when studied with Finance or Marketing.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
Skilled property professionals are involved in property development, valuation, investment, analysis, and residential and commercial real estate sales.
Our Property major will develop your skills in economics, law, construction and finance to deliver the knowledge required for a career in property.
You'll learn to analyse property investments and developments, gain insight into the structure and operations of the real estate industry and develop the essential legal, analytical and economic skills required to begin a career in property.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Commerce degree. To apply for this major, you will apply for the Bachelor of Commerce.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
Recommended double majors:
The Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Western Australia has partnered with Curtin to offer internships to students who have completed 200 credits or more of their commerce degree. These internships will give you credit towards your degree, increase your industry experience and put you in direct contact with leading professionals.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
- This major is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors when studied with Finance.
- This major is partially accredited by the API for Valuations.
- You may be eligible for membership of the Australian Property Institute (API) (not at the Certified Practising Valuer level) and the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, when studied with Finance or Marketing.
- You may also be eligible for a real estate and business agent licence with the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
- Commercial sales agent
- Investment analyst
- Property developer
- Property finance professional
- Property manager
- Asset management
- Banking and investment
- International property
- Property development
- State and local government
What you'll learn
- apply principles of property analysis, finance, economics, information systems, statistics, law and behavioural science as they relate to the analysis and operation of property markets
- critically analyse issues in data collection, recording and reporting of property market activity
- locate, extract and critically appraise information related to property markets and operations from sources within an organisation and from external sources
- relate the significance of commercial events and issues within property markets and the business community using structured financial communication and appropriate language
- use electronic resources to interrogate databases, analyse data, collect information and communicate
- take responsibility for self-directed learning and the development of a career-long attitude of continuing professional development
- recognise the global nature of the property industry by applying relevant international property standards and appreciate the information requirements of a global financial system
- demonstrate an understanding that cultural practices and differences impact commercial practices and interpersonal relations
- apply an ethical approach to analysing commercial activities and advising clients, demonstrate leadership and the ability to delegate tasks to ensure timely outcomes, and work independently to achieve agreed outcomes
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course at another educational institution, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Fees & charges
Please view the Bachelor of Commerce degree for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- As an international student, can I work in Australia while I'm studying?
- Why choose Curtin?
- What Scholarships are available for future international students?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon–Fri: 8:00am–5:00pm (UTC+8) excl. public holidays.
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: MJRU-PRPTY
- CRICOS code: Please refer to B-COMM
- Last updated on: October 30, 2020