This internet browser is outdated and does not support all features of this site. Please switch or upgrade to a different browser to display this site properly.
A full-time study load usually consists of 200 credits (approximately eight units) per year, with 100 credits (approximately four units) in each semester.
- Curtin Perth
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide (Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019).
You’ll have access to a range of international study opportunities.
This unit aims to equip students with core knowledge and skills needed to undertake tertiary-level studies that require a fundamental knowledge of Chemistry and is designed specifically for students who have little or no previous Chemistry experience.
What you'll learn
- recognise the main types of bonds formed in molecules, the inter-molecular forces found between molecules and their resulting physical properties using the atomic approach
- apply the principles of chemical measurement to both quantitatively and qualitatively determine chemical species in simple samples CLO4
- describe the difference between chemical and physical processes and be able to explain a chemical reaction using conventional mathematical and symbolic representations CLO1
- recognise the major classes of organic compounds and identify them by their functional groups CLO2
Help is at hand
- Applying for special consideration
- Can I remain in Australia until my student visa expires if I have completed my course?
- Alternative pathways into Curtin
- What are my study mode options?
- What are my postgraduate study options?
The offering information on this website applies only to future students. Current students should refer to faculty handbooks for current or past course information. View courses information disclaimer.
- Curtin course code: CHEM0005
- Last updated on: October 24, 2019